Questions to Ask Your Insurance Company:
If you want insurance to reimburse you for therapy services, call the number on the back of your card and ask them these questions to find out if this option will work for you:
- Do I have out-of-network benefits for individual mental health therapy?
- Is any pre-approval required before engaging in services with an out-of-network provider? If so, what are the steps?
- What percentage of the session fee I pay upfront will be reimbursed to me?
- Do I have a deductible? Is there a separate out-of-network deductible? How much has been satisfied already?
- What is the process for reimbursement? What is the timeframe to submit claims for reimbursement?
Does your employer have an EAP (employee assistance program)? Some of these programs allow you to see a therapist of your own choosing and will reimburse a number of sessions at 100%. Can't hurt to ask!
If any of this feels like just another thing to do on your already overwhelming, never ending to do list, let me know during our consult and I will be happy to make these calls on your behalf.